If you're like me, you can make it even cheaper by using reduced mince. It always seems to be in the reduced section and freezes well - perfect for this kind of meal and perfect for that end of the month budgeting.
Ingredients, serves 4:
- 500g minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 heaped tbsp curry paste - I use pataks garam masala paste.
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Salt, pepper and sugar for seasoning
- Fresh spinach,
- Handful frozen peas
- Fresh coriander to serve
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes or if you have them, 6 medium sized fresh tomatoes, quartered.
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the garlic, frying for 1 minute. Add the onion and fry for a further couple of minutes before adding the minced beef.
- Break the meat up gently and fry until browned but not cooked through. Add the curry paste and stir through before adding the tin of tomatoes. (At this point, if using fresh tomatoes, also add a splash of water). Season to taste and add a little sugar if bitter.
- Cook on a medium heat for approx 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and a handful of frozen peas and cook through until spinach has wilted.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with rice and naan.
The finished thing: