I loved Two Greedy Italians when it was on TV last year, Antonio Carluccio and Gennaro Contaldo are hilarious together and made us laugh every week. Of course I had to get their book and use it all the time! As you might know if you read my blog regularly, I am a big fan of Italian food, having visited Tuscany several times with my parents who stay with friends every year in this beautiful villa not far from Lucca. I love everything but most of all, the food, and love cooking Italian meals at home!
This is a rerun of an old blog post as I'm entering the below recipe into the #TuscanyNowCookOff Signora Anna Bini. I love this recipe - Risotto Con Pecorino, Olio E Aceto Balsamico because of its simplicity. So few ingredients yet its totally delicious.
Ingredients, serves 4:
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, very finely chopped
- 350g arborio risotto rice
- 50ml white wine
- 80g pecorino cheese, freshly grated plus extra to serve
- Balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- Put the stock in a saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Leave over a low heat.
- Heat two tbsp oil in a medium sized saucepan (I used my trusty frying pan) and sweat the onion until soft. Add the rice and stir until the grains are coated with oil, then add the wine and stir until it evaporates.
- Add a couple of ladlefuls of stock and cook, stirring all the time, until it has been absorbed.
- Repeat with more stock, and continue in this way until the rice is cooked al dente, which usually takes about 20 mins.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the pecorino and remaining olive oil with a wooden spoon. Leave to rest for a minute and then divide between 4 plates. Drizzle some balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with some more pecorino before serving.