I've cooked with Yutaka before and loved the quality so when they asked if I wanted to try some of their new products I jumped at the chance! There is a miso soup recipe on my blog already (here) using the paste but here I'm using their ready made soup sachets. This particular one won a Great Taste Award last year too. The best thing here is how fast this is to make! It'd be perfect to whip up on a work night and double bonus is that this is a really healthy dish.
A few years ago at the BBC Good Food Show I was given some konjac noodles, pasta and rice. Although the texture was strange, I liked the products because they are just so ridiculously low in calories (100g noodles = 5 calories!!). It means you can top up on the 'carb' element of a dish without feeling at all guilty. In among the goodies Yutaka sent me this week were their shirataki noodles, which, on closer inspection are konjac. I was pretty pleased as I'm on a bit of a health kick (again..yawn) at the moment! Combine with the miso soup which has anti-aging properties and is full of antioxidants, we're onto a winner with this one!
Here's a recipe for a quick, simple and VERY healthy yellow miso broth with prawns and shirataki noodles. This serves 2.
- Japanese mellow yellow miso soup 50g sachet
- 200g hot vegetable stock
- 1 packet of Japanese white shirataki noodles
- 140g king prawns
- 1 banana shallot or small onion
- 1 garlic clove finely diced
- 1 red chilli finely sliced
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger finely sliced
- Start by frying the garlic, chilli, onions & ginger in a small amount of oil. Once softened, add the mushrooms and allow to fry for a few minutes.
- Add 400ml veg stock or water to the miso soup sachet and mix thoroughly, then add to the mushrooms and onions.
- Drop in the prawns and noodles. Once simmering its ready!
- Serve with fresh coriander and sliced red chilli (if you're brave).
I know this isn't a traditional way of making a miso soup but oh well! It tasted good.. This dish is surprisingly filling and super healthy. You can get Yutaka products from Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Whole Foods both in store and online.