The lovely folk behind Mextrade UK have sent me some of their products to try. They are specialists in importing Mexican food stuffs to the UK and supply lots of Mexican restaurants here, including Wahaca. The good news for us is that you can also buy their products online and in some Mexican delis around the country.
The avocado salsa that accompanies the taquitos uses two La Costena ingredients. Salsa Verde, a classic tangy Mexican sauce made with green tomatillos, jalapeños, coriander and seasonings. The delicious tangy flavour comes from the tomatillos. the second is pickled Serranos chillies – the mean little cousins of Jalapeño peppers. Smaller in size but hotter and very tasty!
This is enough for 4 as snack food or 2 as a main meal with the salsa on the side.
- 6 -8 corn tortillas
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp diced pickled jalapeños
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 200ml water
- 60g butter
- 4 large plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 medium sized steak
- Sunflower or vegetable oil for frying.
You'll also need wooden toothpicks.
- 1 medium avocado, diced.
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced.
- 2 large plum tomatoes, deseeded and diced.
- Juice of 1/2 lime.
- 1 tbsp La Costeña salsa verde
- 1 tbsp diced pickled La Costeña serranos chillies.
- A small handful of chopped coriander
Start with the taquito mix:
- Make the garlic butter by whizzing the water and garlic in a small food processor. Heat the butter in a pan until foaming and then add the garlic water and allow to cook until almost all the water has evaporated and its a nice silky consistency.
- Quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds, then dice.
- Fry the finely diced onion and herbs for 5 minutes or until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the finely diced steak and fry for a couple of minutes,
- Add the chillies and tomatoes and allow it to simmer until almost all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in a tablespoon of the garlic butter and take the mix off the heat,
To make the salsa:
- Mix the avocado, red onion and diced tomatoes together and stir in the serranos chillies, coriander and lime juice. Season to taste. DONE!
Back to the taquitos:
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan.
- Once hot, briefly place the tortilla into the oil. Remove to a plate, put 2 tbsp of beef mix onto one half of the tortilla and fold it over, sealing with three toothpicks around the edge.
- Turn the heat up on the pan and fry the tortilla until crispy and golden (turning to cook evenly).
- Pat down with kitchen roll and remove the toothpicks.
- Repeat until all taquitos are made.
- Serve piled up on a plate with the avocado salsa. Yummy!
NOW ENTER TO WIN A MEXTRADE HAMPER!
Get your hands on a whole heap of Mexican goodies courtesy of Mextrade UK. The hamper is worth £50 and will be tailored to your tastebuds - want it spicy? No props! Want it mild? No probs either :) Closing date is 19th Dec so the winner will have their treats before Christmas!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
*Mextrade UK supplied me with some of their products to try. Photos are courtesy of Dave Parry.