Appliances Direct is a web store selling everything from kettles to fridge freezers. As well as all their kitchen supplies, they also sell TVs and other electrical items. This lovely red original Crockpot is just over £59 but they have other brands and smaller and cheaper options to suit all budgets so take a look!
I was surprised to see that you can even make puddings (cakes... yes really) so its really not just about meat. However, everyone has to start somewhere so I've started with meat, maybe the cakes will come later! Here's the best of my experiments to date:
Slow roast lamb with red wine gravy
Ingredients, serves 4
- 1/2 courgette cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and halved
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed but still whole
- half leg of lamb
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 200ml good red wine
- 2 sprigs of rosemary and a small pinch of thyme
- S & P to taste
- Put the vegetables and garlic in the slow cooker
- Add the lamb, stock and wine and season with salt, pepper and the herbs.
- Turn your slow cooker onto low. Add the lid and cook for 6 - 6 1/2 hours until the meat falls easily off the bone.
- Remove the meat and transfer to plate.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve into a small pan and bring to the boil, adding a small amount of cornflour to thicken to a gravy.
- Serve the lamb with the gravy, (a few of the vegetables if you wish) mash and some steamed broccoli.