Ingredients (serves 4)
Recipe taken from Saturday Kitchen Cooking Bible. See the original here.
For the dumplings:
- 350g chicken mince - I used turkey mince
- 60g canned bamboo shoots, drained & finely chopped
- 2 tsp freshly grated root ginger
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the soup:
- 800ml hot chicken stock
- 350ml coconut milk - I just used a whole tin, who needs to be so precise?
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (or 2 pieces lime zest)
- 3cm piece root ginger, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 4 baby pak choi, halved lengthways
- 60g rice noodles, soaked in water for 30 seconds & drained - I just used the ready for wok ones and tipped them straight in!
- 2 sliced red chillies
- 8 sprigs fresh coriander
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- Dumplings: put the minced chicken, bamboo shoots, ginger, chilli, coriander, fish sauce and cornflour into a large bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Using clean hands, mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Wet your hands and roll the mixture into small balls; set aside.
- Soup: put the chicken stock, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves (or lime zest) and ginger slices into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the dumplings and simmer gently for five minutes, or until just cooked through.
- Stir in the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar, to taste.
- Add the pak choi and rice noodles, bring back to a simmer and remove from the heat.
- To serve, ladle the soup into serving bowls, dividing the dumplings evenly. Scatter with the chilli slices, coriander & shredded kaffir lime leaves.