My twist on the BLT – the BTA - Bacon, tomato and avocado. The perfect sandwich for a lazy weekend breakfast treat. Make this, or even better, get someone else to make it, and take it back to bed with a cuppa and a paper. It’ll only take ten minutes and really couldn’t be simpler. Sometimes I’ll make it with bagels but it works really well on seeded bread too. I love sourdough as it soaks up the tomato juice without getting soggy.
The bread on these pictures is a gorgeous Welbeck Farm seeded sourdough loaf. The Welbeck farm shop is well worth a visit if you ever find yourself north of Nottingham (near Worksop) but you can also get their delightful bread at Delilah Fine Foods in Nottingham.
Ingredients (for two):
- 1 medium avocado.
- 4 slices of nice bread – I use a seeded sourdough.
- 2 medium vine tomatoes.
- 6 rashers of smoky bacon (it is the weekend after all!)
- Mayonnaise (loosely measured but probably 1-2 tbsp).
- Cracked black pepper to season.
- Get out of bed.
- Heat the grill and get your bacon under. Turn occasionally until crispy.
- Slice your bread and spread mayonnaise on the bottom slice of each person’s sandwich.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes, putting 2 – 3 slices on top of the mayonnaise.
- Season with black pepper.
- Remove the stone and skin, then slice your avocado. Place 2-3 slices on top of the tomatoes.
- Top everything with crispy slices of bacon - 3 per person.
I'm pretty chuffed that this recipe (or what can loosely be called a recipe!) has been included in TWO e-books.
Breakfast In Bed which has just been published and has been commissioned by Adjustable Beds. There are some great recipes on there and after all, breakfast in bed is what weekends are made for! Healthy Desk Lunch, commissioned and produced by Furniture at Work, another e-book filled with delicious recipes this time suited to office lunches. No need to resort to packet sandwiches anymore!